This issue is about refactoring the main mail server. Possible improvements include:Base system:
Upgrade to Debian 10
- Change mail storage format from maildir to mdbox, possibly compressed
- Replace amavis by rspamd
- consider setting Postfix'
switch to Milter
- Guilhem proposed to use systemd
Assuming you're using systemd as PID 1, a quick and dirty fix would be to tell it to auto restart the service. Rather than editing the unit file shipped by the package (which would be overridden by the next amavis update), I'd go for an override systemd.unit(5) file instead: $ mkdir /etc/systemd/system/amavis.service.d $ tee /etc/systemd/system/amavis.service.d/override.conf <<- EOF [Service] RestartSec=1min Restart=always #Restart=on-abnormal might be more appropriate, see #systemd.service(5) for details EOF $ systemctl daemon-reload $ systemctl restart amavis You can see if the override systemd.unit(5) file is taken into account with `sudo systemctl show amavis.service | grep ^Restart`.
- consider switching to local mailbox only in case of too many notifications
- switch to DNSSEC and TLSA records if feasible
Updated by Florian Effenberger about 1 year ago
- Target version changed from Q3/2019 to Q1/2020
Let's also aim for Q1, also the box is on Debian 9 still
I'm currently redoing my mail server based on the ISPMail howto, merging with my setup. Using Postfix, Dovecot, rspamd and ClamAV. Happy to share the documentation when finished.