Project

General

Profile

Feature #591

Feature #751: BugZilla migration

Roadmap of migration for Bug Tracker

Added by Joel Madero almost 5 years ago. Updated over 4 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Urgent
Category:
QA
Target version:
-
Start date:
Due date:
2014-10-31
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Tags:
URL:

Description

We need the following:
1. Clear roadmap of what is still needed that is documented here
2. Stress test our test instance
3. Plan migration
4. Do migration

Would be nice if Robinson can script and/or organize the stress testing as soon as possible and then leave comments about what other steps are needed and our progress there. Norbert I think is just too busy to help with the migration any longer (including stress testing) so let's assume we're going to do it without him. He can always join after the fact if he wants to.

If we want to open separate tickets for each phase that's fine - then we can clearly monitor progress and estimate time and what not.

History

#1 Updated by Joel Madero almost 5 years ago

  • Tracker changed from Bug to Feature

#2 Updated by Bjoern Michaelsen over 4 years ago

  • Project changed from 49 to Infrastructure

moving to infrastructure project as per https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/issues/599#note-2

#3 Updated by Bjoern Michaelsen over 4 years ago

  • Category set to QA

#4 Updated by Bjoern Michaelsen over 4 years ago

Soo, some framing for the timing: We should have the the migration switch-over ideally between mid and end of November 2014, as:
- soft early limit: Ubuntu (which is a big deployement) will officially release at the end of October, so ideally we shouldnt migrate in the middle of that
- hard end limit: The beta releases and branch off of LibreOffice 4.4 will be in early December -- by than we should be finished.

Thus: A good roadmap should be done ideally before the end of October 2014 (and scalability testing etc. should be finished by then too). => Due Date 2014-10-31

#5 Updated by Bjoern Michaelsen over 4 years ago

Note: Bjoern/Robinson are planning to review the bz migration plan in Seattle.

#6 Updated by Bjoern Michaelsen over 4 years ago

  • Subject changed from Roadmap + Migration for Bug Tracker to Roadmap of migration for Bug Tracker

#7 Updated by Florian Effenberger over 4 years ago

As soon as you have the milestones identified, please add them to this ticket (or as individual subtickets, whatever you prefer), so we have them on screen
Ideally, we get a short status update during next Monday's team call to see where we stand

#8 Updated by Robinson Tryon over 4 years ago

Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:

Note: Bjoern/Robinson are planning to review the bz migration plan in Seattle.

I had a good conversation with Bjoern about migration roadmap plans on Saturday night after we wrapped up from SeaGL, and another good conversation with Norbert on Sunday during the LibreFest. Both had good input about the particular steps and structure we'd want to follow for the migration process, and each had his own take on the best timeline for our migration schedule.

In either case, I'll be writing announcement/notification information about the upcoming migration and handing that over to bjoern and to norbert. My initial proposal was to coordinate FDO involvement via Norbert talking with Tollef, but per Norbert's suggestion I'll be contacting Tollef directly.As our primary contact at FDO, Tollef will be a big part of our plans. He's agreed to help us a number of things for the migration, including providing his own proposal for updating the individual bug pages to point at the new (corresponding) bug pages. Norbert wants to make sure that our goals of a roadmap are reflecting what we can expect to be possible from FDO, and make sure to take Tollef's schedule into full consideration.

#9 Updated by Florian Effenberger over 4 years ago

  • Parent task set to #751

#10 Updated by Florian Effenberger over 4 years ago

  • Due date set to 2014-10-31

#11 Updated by Robinson Tryon over 4 years ago

  • Status changed from New to In Progress

Robinson Tryon wrote:

per Norbert's suggestion I'll be contacting Tollef directly.

I've chatted w/Tollef this past week, and will continue to communicate with him periodically. He's happy to get us an updated bugzilla dump, but indicated that he's travelling this week, so the next stress test/updated install test against the latest Bugzilla version will happen hopefully around the end of this week.

In terms of the overall roadmap for migration, final migration seems possible within ~ 1 week of testing against the latest Bugzilla, but if we want 2 weeks notice for our userbase, then we need to decide if we want to wait until we have a hard date established with Tollef or start with a more general announcement about Bugzilla migration first, and then provide the exact migration date once we coordinate w/Tollef and have successfully finished the latest round of testing.

#12 Updated by Florian Effenberger over 4 years ago

  • Status changed from In Progress to Closed

Closing, as individual milestones have been put into tickets

Also available in: Atom PDF