www.libreoffice.org should redirect to environment (locale) setting
When typing the LibreOffice URL (www.libreoffice.org or libreoffice.org) in a web-browser, it currently always goes to the English language edition (https://www.libreoffice.org/). It should go to the language locale edition of LibreOffice.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set the locale to hu (Hungarian)
2. Type libreoffice.org into the address bar of a web-browser
3. The LibreOffice English version opens, i.e. https://www.libreoffice.org/
3. The LibreOffice Hungarian version opens, i.e. https://hu.libreoffice.org/
or perhaps the website needs a paradigm shift and the webpage that opens is:
- Mozilla Thunderbird as thunderbird.net redirects to https://www.thunderbird.net/hu/ and is in Hungarian
- Jami as jami.net opens as https://jami.net/ as is in Hungarian. Likewise you can explicitly go to the Hungarian version with https://jami.net/?lang=hu
- VLC as videolan.org opens as https://www.videolan.org/ as is in Hungarian
- Mozilla Firefox www.mozilla.com/firefox/ redirects to https://www.mozilla.org/hu/firefox/ and is in Hungarian
- MuseScore musescore.org redirects to https://musescore.org/hu and is in Hungarian (where the strings have not yet been translated into Hungarian they are in English)
What do you think?
Updated by Florian Effenberger over 2 years ago
There IIRC is a ticket somewhere about showing a banner on the websites
when the page opened differs from the browser locale. I can't find the
ticket ID at the moment, but I think that Jean Spiteri was working on it
- maybe some other approach we can consider too?
Updated by . Óvári over 2 years ago
Does PHP User Agent Language Detection https://techpatterns.com/downloads/php_language_detection.php help?
Updated by Jean Spiteri 6 months ago
- Status changed from New to Feedback
Florian Effenberger This seems to have been added to the official website. Can this be set as fixed? Also is it possible to have confirmation that the version uploaded to the newdesign website was moved over to the official website as well?
1. typing jami.net redirects to https://jami.net/ and is shown in Hungarian
2. typing thunderbird.net redirects to https://www.thunderbird.net/hu/
and is shown in Hungarian
2. typing libreoffice.org redirects to https://www.libreoffice.org/ and
is shown in English incorrect
Hence, does not seem to be fixed.
Not sure how to change the status of this issue.
On 4/6/21 5:56 am, The Document Foundation Redmine wrote:
Updated by Florian Effenberger 6 months ago
Not sure what the latest state of discussion is
The pointer to other locales is in (see my comment in #2032)
Not sure if an automatic redirection is exactly what we want though, I
think a hint to the users that there's a localized version available is
much better than a forced redirect?