Project

General

Profile

Bug #896

Help Wiki: Automatically identify missing/eroneous help pages in LibreOffice

Added by Robinson Tryon about 3 years ago. Updated about 2 years ago.

Status:
New
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
Category:
Help Wiki
Target version:
-
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:

0%

Estimated time:
Tags:
URL:

Description

I just clicked on the "Help" button in the 'Select Firefox Theme' dialog, and was taken to this URL:
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog/search_term?Language=en-US&System=UNIX&Version=4.4

Not only does that URL not exist, neither do any of these:
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog/search_term
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter

It would be great if we could capture all of requests for pages on help.libreoffice.org, and identify which ones are requesting non-existent pages. If a given page gets more than a few hits (just to weed-out random user guessing/people trying to type-in a url), it's quite possible that we're missing a page of documentation.

History

#1 Updated by Florian Effenberger about 3 years ago

There is a separate error log for help.libreoffice.org available for those who want to have a look - poke Alex to send it to you

#2 Updated by Sophie Gautier almost 3 years ago

Just for information, the link you're pointed to is not a wiki link but a link pointing to the file structure of the help files in the code.
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui doesn't exist on the wiki, the /cui/ directory is where the dialog is in the translations files.
There is a BZ issue collecting the missing parts of the help, and the wiki should not be the reference for those missing pages, because it's not updated as often as the help files. Only the internal help should be the reference for missing articles.

#3 Updated by Robinson Tryon almost 3 years ago

Sophie Gautier wrote:

Just for information, the link you're pointed to is not a wiki link but a link pointing to the file structure of the help files in the code.

ok, that makes sense.

https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui doesn't exist on the wiki, the /cui/ directory is where the dialog is in the translations files.
There is a BZ issue collecting the missing parts of the help,

I'd suggest we go with 1 bug per missing piece, so that once a url is fixed, we can resolve that particular bug.

Only the internal help [and not the wiki] should be the reference for missing articles.

Given that we distribute LibreOffice without included help files, the default use case for our end users is to be pointed to the Help Wiki urls online, so I'd expect that we'd see more bug reports of that nature, than bug reports talking about local help.

and the wiki should not be the reference for those missing pages, because it's not updated as often as the help files.

I was under the impression that the wiki pages were auto-generated from the help files. If those are drifting out of sync, perhaps we just need to update them more frequently -- perhaps nightly?

#4 Updated by Dennis Roczek over 2 years ago

well we could also hide the path in the wiki by using a css hack (so hiding the swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog/search_term)

wouldn't that solve (at least for the end user) the problem?

#5 Updated by Adolfo Jayme Barrientos over 2 years ago

Robinson Tryon wrote:

Sophie Gautier wrote:

and the wiki should not be the reference for those missing pages, because it's not updated as often as the help files.

I was under the impression that the wiki pages were auto-generated from the help files. If those are drifting out of sync, perhaps we just need to update them more frequently -- perhaps nightly?

Robinson: Yes, the pages are generated from the help files, but IIRC András told us that the existing script lasts weeks to complete an update.

#6 Updated by Dennis Roczek over 2 years ago

Adolfo Jayme wrote:

Robinson Tryon wrote:

Sophie Gautier wrote:

and the wiki should not be the reference for those missing pages, because it's not updated as often as the help files.

I was under the impression that the wiki pages were auto-generated from the help files. If those are drifting out of sync, perhaps we just need to update them more frequently -- perhaps nightly?

Robinson: Yes, the pages are generated from the help files, but IIRC András told us that the existing script lasts weeks to complete an update.

hopefully not any onger as cloph changed the wiki configuration when uploading the files. well for the next run we have to wait ~ 6 months :-(

#7 Updated by Florian Effenberger over 2 years ago

IMHO the slowness has been dealt with already and it should be much
faster now

#8 Updated by Dennis Roczek about 2 years ago

Robinson Tryon wrote:

I just clicked on the "Help" button in the 'Select Firefox Theme' dialog, and was taken to this URL:
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog/search_term?Language=en-US&System=UNIX&Version=4.4

Not only does that URL not exist, neither do any of these:
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog/search_term
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui/select_persona_dialog
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui/ui
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter/cui
https://help.libreoffice.org/swriter

It would be great if we could capture all of requests for pages on help.libreoffice.org, and identify which ones are requesting non-existent pages. If a given page gets more than a few hits (just to weed-out random user guessing/people trying to type-in a url), it's quite possible that we're missing a page of documentation.

I have added the helpwiki to piwiki a few weeks ago. Hadn't any time to check if http404 records get recorded... will do it hopefully at the weekend.

Also available in: Atom PDF